Hunting & Fishing Licenses
FWC Fishing Licenses
Fishing licenses may be obtained at any Lake County Tax Collector Office location. They are also available at authorized sporting good stores, may be purchased online, or by telephone at 1-888-FISH-FLORIDA (347-4356). Please note that a nominal issuance fee will apply to all purchases.
Licensing requirements follow the species of fish you are fishing for, regardless of where you are fishing. For example, anglers fishing for and possessing largemouth bass in brackish water need a freshwater license; anglers fishing for saltwater species in freshwater (e.g., spotted sea trout, red drum, snook, American shad) need a saltwater license to possess these species.
The money collected from saltwater fishing licenses is used to improve and restore fish habitat, for marine fisheries research, law enforcement, and public education on marine resources.
Visit http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/ to find up-to-date information on fishing rules and regulations, and other pertinent information.
Basic Fishing License Exemptions
- Any child under 16 years of age.
- Florida residents 65 years of age or older.*
- Persons hunting or freshwater fishing in their county of residence on their homestead or the homestead of their spouse or minor child, or any minor child hunting or freshwater fishing on the homestead of their parent.
- Individuals fishing in their home county with live or natural bait, using poles or hand lines that are not equipped with reel or other line retrieval mechanism for noncommercial purposes. (NOTE: This does not apply in Fish Management Areas)
- A resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, not stationed in the state, and home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
* For the purposes of hunting or fishing in Florida, a Resident is defined as: any person who has declared Florida as his/her only state of residence as evidenced by a Florida driver license/ID card, or any member of the U.S. Armed Forces who is stationed in this state (includes spouses and dependent children in the household).